- PGP Keys
- Vossen's Law
- Firewall Rules
- Home Net Security
- Snort Books
- Sec Tools
- Honeypot Stats
- Firewall Stats
- IP Calcs
- SME Server
- Backup (DI-30)
- Win Tools
- Win. Shell Scripting
- POSIX Redirection
I like the idea of recycling, and using recycled materials. I don't like the idea of maintenance. So a plastic deck is right up my alley. After almost 2 years, it's finally finished. The first year was spent fighting with the town to get a variance, since we live on a corner. The second year was spent building it. It sure looked a lot smaller on paper than it does in real life!
I drew up the plans using an old copy of Sierra Home's 3D Deck v3.0. Since this is obsolete and not sold anymore, I got it for about $12 on some liquidation Internet site. I also used an evaluation version of a professional grade program to double-check everything, but I can't remember the name of that one.
Then I went to Home Depot and had them use their deck program to come up with the materials list for the sub structure, which is pressure treated (PT) wood. Unfortunately, their program can't do 12" OC joists. We put in everything, but specified no decking, railing, etc., then I took the quote home and reworked it. I added the materials for the 12" OC joists from their default 16". I also optimized the lengths and materials so that my final order, with more material than the original, was $500 less, and I should have had almost no waste. They picked everything, and delivered it on a truck a few days later. Nice! Of course, they were out of the 2"x10"-10' boards I ordered. So they gave me 2x10-12 for the same price. Now have a pile of 2x10-2 waste... :-( I used a lot of that for braces and parts in the frames for the stairs, but I still had a bunch left over.
Getting the plastic was a bit more of a challenge. This is partly my fault, since as a first time deck builder (and this is the largest project like this I've done as well), I made a bunch of changes to the order. If I'd had all my ducks in a row, I think everything would have gone more smoothly. As it was, I ended up driving to the manufacture's site and helping to load the truck myself, because I was tired of waiting for the material. This also seriously delayed the project into summer, which resulted in even more delay, since I did not work when it was too hot, or in direct sunlight.
My other complaint is with the stainless steel screws I used. I stripped, torqued the heads off or bent at least 10% of them! They had square drive heads which seemed to be very soft. They were also very sharp, which means they bit into the plastic and drove well, but you had to be very careful in reaching for a handful of them.
Two pictures of the deck and the plastic lumber appear in the Spring 2005 issue of Coastal Contractor magazine in Materials Report: Plastic Decking.
The final approval for the finished deck was granted 2001-09-18. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I added a grounding wire to try to reduce the static problem, but needless to say that did not help at all.
If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I'd do pretty much the same thing. I might try to fasten it differently, but I'm not sure how. I'd have to figure out something that would slide a bit to allow for more expansion/contraction. Maybe there is something on the market now that wasn't then?
Update 2003-11-06: So far so good. It is weathering nicely, which is to say not much at all. Expansion and contraction is a problem as expected. Joints (in the railings and so forth) that used to be tight are loosening up, and I have a bit of moss on the north side. But other than hosing it down once or twice I have not touched it!
Update 2006-10-09: Still weathering nicely, which is to say not much at all. Expansion and contraction still a problem as expected. The railing joints have loosened a lot, even with some additional screws. One deck plank literally ripped across because I didn't leave quite enough room around a notch for a railing post. Dirt and moss about the same, a quick pressure wash easily fixes that. A regular hose does not seem to help much.
Last Modified: $Date: 2007-11-28 02:26:46 -0500 (Wed, 28 Nov 2007) $